Friday, March 18, 2011

Spring

The high today in DC reached 78°. It's supposed to plummet back down to the 50s this weekend. But it was a surprising reminder that winter is, like all things, finite. I actually hate the heat. I have discovered over the years that 63° is my ideal temperature. What was called "jacket weather" by my elders. The heat exacerbates my condition and leaves me feeling rather punky. 


But I do love fresh produce.
DC, by virtue of its proximity to several climatically-endowed areas, is blessed with some great outdoor markets. FRESHFARM Markets organizes several of the most important and their Chefs at Market series is already loaded with names of interest including: Brian McBride of Blue Duck Tavern, Pedro Matamoros of 8407, Kevin Villalovos of Cure Bar & Bistro, and Allison Sosna of DC Central Kitchen. (DC Central Kitchen is one of the best community responses to hunger and homelessness in the country.) Eastern Market is an institution, dating back to 1873. It has recovered from a terrible fire in 2007 and is back in full swing, although perhaps a bit tidier. There are also many other markets as well as CSAs and milk shares available. This is excellent news for a town that was a little slow to jump on the Eat Local wagon. There are many shops that carry local product, La Fromagerie in Old Town, Alexandria, VA being one of my favorites for farm eggs, fresh milk, Virginia ham, and of course, cheese!
The markets here are not quite on par with some of the truly outstanding ones in other cities across the US. Still, it's amazing how far the farm to table movement has come. And unlike most European markets, ours are filled with novelty and history from strange fruit to heirloom potatoes. I was rather well-known at the Mercato Trionfale in my Roman neighborhood of Prati. The vendors flanking the gate always shouted a cheery greeting, "E, l'Americana!" as I entered. It wasn't until my fidanzato came with me one time that I realized this was to let everyone know to lean on the scales. He was outraged. I thought the tomatoes were a bargain at any price. 


Many restaurants in the DMV have embraced this love affair with eating your backyard. One of my favorites, EatBar in VA, has partnered with a local farm and agricultural students to offer up some wickedly good food. They also offer movie nights and cartoon brunches as well stellar libations all in a really comfortable but pretty location with a ridiculously nice staff. EatBar is part of The Neighborhood Restaurant Group and shares a kitchen with Tallula. (If you ask nicely, they let you order veggies from the Tallula menu which is a little richer in that department. Vegetables not being, apparently, most people's idea of bar food.) I am checking their menus with a scary compulsion to make sure I don't miss the first real signs of spring. 

1 comment:

Charline said...

Like.